Quantcast

Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Monster Fan Interview: Briarpatch


Charlene is also known as Briarpatch. She can always be found working for Jericho and helping others. She's active on the boards and active in promoting. Charlene is an interesting person and that will come out in this interview.


1. What is it about Jericho that has made you a fan?

This particular topic has been of interest to me for many years. I have read all the post-apocryphal novels out there and that whole scenario fascinates me. When I first saw the promos with the mushroom cloud in the distance, I was hooked.

One of my interests in real life is preparedness (aka survivalism). Unfortunately, that word brings a mental picture of a militia group shooting at everything in sight from their mountain fortress. My interest is more in the area of making my family safe in case of a disaster. We are trying to become as self sufficient on our little farm as is possible to be. We have our own rainwater collection system, heat with a woodstove, and have some solar power. We are working toward getting totally off grid in the near future. After Katrina we had the opportunity for a very realistic test of our preparations and found that we fared quite well. We also found some deficiencies in our plan and have worked to tweak our plans to do better next time. We believe we would do better than most if a situation such as in Jericho were to actually happen in America.


2. Who is your favorite character and why?

Robert Hawkins intrigues me. I love spy stories and espionage, so I am most interested in the story behind how this event happened. His undercover operation involved years of his life, including a long stretch in prison. And this was necessary to gain trust and get inside an organization that was about to commit the crime of the century. What kind of man does that take? I can’t wait to see the new episodes to see how he escapes the approaching army of the rogue government.


3. If I had never watched Jericho what would you say to urge me to watch?


If you are tired of reality television and inane sitcoms, here is something totally different that might cause your brain to come out of cryonic storage. Stimulate your thought processes with something challenging and introduce your kids to intelligent TV.



4. Would you join a Jericho Fan Club? Why or why not?

I think the answer to this is …depends on what is offered. I do participate in a fan club of sorts that is for a series of books by a favorite author. This group actually schedules face-to-face meetings so this would be very different from a mostly online fan club likely for Jericho. But I might, if the Fan Club offered me something I wanted.


5. What would you like to see a Fan Club do whether you would join or not?

I have heard some terrific ideas from various fans of Jericho. Online chats with the cast sounds good to me. I think I might be more interested in chatting with the writing team myself. I would like to know where their ideas came from and their thought processes for reaching the conclusions they reached.


6. Anything else you'd like to add about yourself or Jericho can go here.

I would like to say that I have had some really wonderful experiences while participating with various groups online. The experience working with the Jericho fans to save the show has been so very inspiring. I am an old political activist and I have felt the satisfaction of actually accomplishing goals with the help of other believers. This experience of going up against a giant corporation, fighting the fight even against overwhelming odds, and then WINNING has been a major high point for me. I say, Jericho Fans ROCK and I am proud to be among them.



Have you ever thought about what you would do if Jericho was your town? Would you be prepared? What if a town like New Bern came to take what little your family had? How would you survive? What if each of us and our families were prepared? Would there be a need for others to steal from you?

Tomorrow: A special interview with Rick Cox. Don't miss it.

7 comments:

LisiBee said...

Thanks to Jericho Monster and briarpatch for another great fan interview! I love hearing different viewpoints from the Jericho fandom, and briarpatch touches on an important one, which is that of survival. I have certainly thought more about my own personal disaster preparedness since watching this show, and I love how Jericho inspires that kind of search for knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Chris from 'Nothing to See Here'. :)

Just wanted to drop by and say hi. Looking forward to the second season and some fun blog commentary here soon.

Love the interviews :)

Sweet Tea said...

Thank you both for commenting. Lisibee, I feel the same. I'm getting interested in being prepared.
Chris,
Thanks for dropping in. Glad you like the interviews because I sure love doing them. More fun coming soon then the 2nd season! Can't wait.

maybei said...

I always enjoy hearing from Briarpatch because she inspires me that the adverage person can get there from here in being prepared.

Unknown said...

What a great interview! Charlene is such an intelligent, fun, and kind person. It has been a pleasure getting to know her at RFJ.

terocious said...

This was a fantastic interview. I really enjoyed meeting Briarpatch.

Sweet Tea said...

Thank you maybei,open, & terocious. Didn't she do a wonderful interview? Nice lady.