Quantcast

Monday, November 12, 2007

Margie and Edna: Honoring Veterans



Veterans Day is intended to thank veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to United States national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.


"America's Wars: U.S. Casualties and Veterans"


"THE HISTORY OF VETERANS DAY"




Margie: Edna, I was just thinking about Veteran's Day. You always rave about Great-grandpappy's sword but we had other relatives who served in many different wars. I think we should honor them today in our own special way. What do you remember about our ancestors?

Edna: Well, Great-grandpappy was an American veteran, remember how he served in the Civil War? We've got a lot of ancestors and relatives who've fought so that we can keep our freedoms. Remember how Mama used to talk about about her great-uncle who fought in the War of 1812? She said the whole family was so proud of him!

Margie, what about Pete, the neighbor boy who lived next door when we were growing up. Didn't he fight in one of the wars?


Margie: Poor Pete. He sure did. Came home traumatized. You know one of my husbands was a soldier when we married. The only good thing I can say about him is that he did serve his country.

Mama said we had ancestors in most every war. That's why I enjoyed working at the USO way back when. I did so love to..
Never you mind, Edna. We should have a parade.


Edna: Margie, if they put on a parade of all the soldier boys you've "entertained" over the years, it'd go on for a week!

You know, it's a good thing that Mama was interested in genealogy, so we know a lot more about our ancestors than most folks do. Do you remember her telling us about one of our family members who fought in the Revolutionary War back in Connecticut? That was before her family came west to Kansas, of course.

It sure is nice to be able to look back at who your kin were and be proud of them. Of course, some of my kin I'm prouder of than others. Know what I mean, Margie?

Margie: Edna, you're a crass old fool. I only have one relative I'm not proud of and I bet you know who she is.

Mama said we had some relatives who most likely started several wars. One of my soldier friends told me once that I almost had wars started over me. Those boys were certainly after my affections.

Anyway, Edna, I just want to thank all the soldiers of all the wars because that's why we have all our freedoms today. And, when Jericho is rebuilt, we really will have a parade.

Edna: You're right Margie, we should thank all the soldiers who fought for us, no matter where or when they fought. We've been awfully lucky so far to have all the freedoms we do, even if those gosh-darn nuclear bombs have thrown everything off-kilter for a little while.

If it wasn't for our soldiers, you and I might not have the freedom to talk to who we wanted, or even to say whatever we wanted. We surely do owe them a debt of gratitude, and any soldier will forever have mine.



6 comments:

terocious said...

Nice to hear from you two ladies today. When I was around twelve a group of us were exploring a grey and brown expanse of Delaware woods. Some ways out we discovered an over turned crumbling tombstone from a soldier in the Civil War. I remembered the mans name for along time but now it is lost to me. I did not think to write the name, dates and inscription down. Though we tried several times we were unable to ever locate the grave again. It lives in my memory as if I saw a ghost. The experience really opened my young mind to the continuum of history. Thanks for your post today.

auntvonna said...

Thanks for the nice tribute to our Veterans, Margie and Edna! My husband is a Desert Storm Vet (Navy) and I also have many ancestors that served to make our country free.

Sweet Tea said...

Terocious, what an interesting story!
Thanks for sharing and commenting.

Auntvonna, always a pleasure to have you come visit the ladies. They will be chatting in the Jeritopia Library on Nov. 18 at 10 p.m. EST. Please drop in.

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute! Both of my parents were vets - dad served in the Navy in WWII and mom served as an Army nurse in WWII. I'm proud to honor both of them and all the vets who served for us.

azlady said...

Thank you Margie and Edna, you are true patriots. Thank you for this nice homage to our troups and retired veterans. Being the daughter of a WWII pilot I still love listening to my dad's stories.
Terocious, that is a fascinating story you tell. That is definitely a memory that will stay with you forever.

Sweet Tea said...

Thank you KW223 and azlady. I have a lot of vets in my family and have the highest respect for all veterans.