Monday, December 3, 2007
Boo's Christmas Angels
My name is Boo(actually Arabelle) and I would like to ask you to participate in a very special Christmas project.
Had my mom's friends not saved me from the shelter I would have been euthanized. I am not the only pet in danger.Look what's happening to my friends. Here are some facts:
It costs U.S. taxpayers an estimated $2 billion each year to round up, house, kill, and dispose of homeless animals.
Over 56% of dogs and puppies entering shelters are killed, based on reports from over 1,055 facilities across America.
An estimated 5 million cats and dogs are killed in shelters each year. That's one about every six and one half seconds. (The Humane Society of the United States) Millions more are abandoned, only to suffer from illness or injury before dying.
In six years one unspayed female and her offspring, can reproduce 67,000 dogs.
Seven dogs & cats are born every day for each person born in the U.S. Of those, only 1 in 5 puppies and kittens say in their original home for their natural lifetime. The remaining 4 are abandoned to the streets or end up at a shelter.
The Humane Society of the United States provided these statistics:
* Number of cats and dogs entering shelters each year:
8–10 million (HSUS estimate)
* Number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year:
4–5 million (HSUS estimate)
* Number of cats and dogs adopted from shelters each year:
3–5 million (HSUS estimate)
* Number of cats and dogs reclaimed by owners from shelters each year:
Between 600,000 and 750,000—15–30% of dogs and 2–5% of cats entering shelters (HSUS estimate)
* Number of animal shelters in the United States:
Between 4,000 and 6,000 (HSUS estimate)
* Percentage of dogs in shelters who are purebred:
25% (HSUS estimate)
* Average number of litters a fertile dog can produce in one year: 2
* Average number of puppies in a canine litter: 6–10
I had angels who saved me. Not all pets do. Come back tomorrow for Part II on
Boo's Chrismas Angels to see how you can help. Please help save my friends.