Quantcast

Friday, March 14, 2008

CBS: Digital Ads



"Unlike Disney (DIS) and NBC U (GE) -- both of which have boasted $1 billion in annual revenue derived from digital -- CBS has made no such claims. But CEO Les Moonves said CBS sold $200 million in digital ads in 2007, and that figure would grow 30% to 40% over the next few years."



Blackjack Fairgrounds: The fifth Jericho blog carnival



"The CBS chief was defensive about the network’s older viewers, chastising rival networks for favoring the 18-year-old consumer over the 50-year-old. He derisively noted seeing a reference to “upscale” 18- to 34-year-olds: “The only 18-34 upscale people I know are my children, and they come to me when they want to buy a car … It’s a bullshit demographic.”

Similarly, Moonves said the notion that the older demo was set in its ways in terms of purchases was “a great old wives’ tale. We think the boomer is still where the money is and where we want to go.”

2 comments:

erika said...

“The only 18-34 upscale people I know are my children, and they come to me when they want to buy a car … It’s a bullshit demographic.”

Really!?? He said that? My parent would be so happy (being in the 60+ category, and having to bail out my ass one or more times....)

Interesting.....

Anonymous said...

Why is it that when my Mom or my grandparents want to purchase anything, they talk to me and my sister about it? Boomers and older are great people, but my experience is that they are wanting to upgrade in technology and at least have it available and that they are turning to Gen X for advice on HOW to spend their money.

I am not alone with my observances of this... I see this going on with my friends and co workers all the time.

I'm guessing that Les' kids are closer to the 18 than the 34 to be calling it a bullshit demographic. I've been quite independent at least since I was 25.